Each year in the United Methodist Church, we have an opportunity to share the many ways God is at work in our faith community at a meeting called the Church Conference (sometimes Charge Conference). The following selection is from my report for 2017. Enjoy!
“If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples.” (John 8:31)
We live in God’s Word so we can live out God’s Word. That’s what it means to be disciples of Jesus. Living in the Word means learning what Jesus has to say to us through Bible study, prayer, worship and connection with others. Living out the Word of God puts faith into practice. We serve others out of our love for God. Living in, living out. It’s as natural as breathing only now, we are breathing in the Holy Spirit of God and breathing out blessing on others. Thanks be to God for the new life that is in us through Jesus, the Word for the World.
Over the past year, the disciples of Jesus at Weller UMC lived in the Word and lived out the Word in numerous ways. Every effort was a team effort, and thanks are due to all our team leaders and team members for their faithful service to the Lord.
- The 2017 Confirmation Class ran over a period of 12 weeks and “graduated” 10 youth, 8 of whom joined the church.
- Vacation Bible School hosted 15 to 20 “superheroes” for God each night and imparted God’s love in creative and memorable ways.
- We continued our partnership with Sabillasville Elementary School with several volunteers in the classrooms and a book drive that gave out over 360 books to the 120 students for summer reading.
- Our handbell choir rang out praise to God while the voice choir sang out the glorious news of new life in Jesus during our Christmas and Easter cantatas.
- The Missions Team led us out in service to Mission Central, the Food Bank, and other nearby charities.
- The Renovate 185 fundraising campaign reached the $47,000 mark (out of $100,000) and replaced two air conditioning systems in just four months.
- We are on track to meet 87% of our apportionment payments for the year, up from 72 % last year and 28% just four years ago, demonstrating our commitment to be in ministry to all the world.
This year was especially joy-filled for me as I completed the requirements for full membership in the Order of Elders and was ordained at annual conference in a service I will always cherish and remember. I thank the Weller UMC family for the grace and love you have shown me and my family these past four years.
2018 will witness continued growth in Christ as we learn more from Jesus through Disciple Bible Study and sermon series that will inform and form our spiritual journey together. We will seek a new vision for Weller, and we will continue to welcome all who seek the love and grace of Jesus, equip them for service, and reach wide to share God’s love. Living in the Word, living out the Word. It’s as natural as breathing. Praise God!